The big check announcement was last Friday night. I am so proud to be one of the 5,000 cyclists involved in the work to create a $33 million check to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
I want to say thank you to all my supporters for doing your part to make this happen. In 4 years, 175 people have donated to my ride a total of $26,179. I am in awe of the continued encouragement and support I receive from all of you. And it is because of you that I am, right now, committed to riding my 5th PMC in 2011 to celebrate my 15th year of life after my cancer treatment!
I am now more committed to this cause than ever.
- Because of the encouragement and support that you have given me.
- Because of the notes and phone calls I receive from friends who just want to talk about their family’s battle against cancer.
- Because of the knowledge that a world where cancer is treatable, manageable, and curable is obtainable, if not in my lifetime, then in my daughter’s.
- Because one of you receives an email from Senator John Kerry every year about the PMC and to get a donation and you write him back to tell him that you are on board, but that you will supporting me instead of him.
- Because of the hundreds of signs, put up along the PMC route by people I don’t know and will never meet, thanking the riders for riding a bike, saying that their mom or dad or son or daughter now have a chance to beat the cancer that they are fighting.
- Because of the families in my life that are battling this disease right now.
Four words: A cure for cancer.
That is the ultimate goal. The PMC is one part of the grand mission to make that happen. My annual ride is just one small piece of that mission. Your continued emotional and financial support in all of this is INVALUABLE.
I will kick off my fundraising next February 23rd, the 15th anniversary of my cancer diagnosis. My fundraising goal for 2011 will be $7,500. I know that I can count on you for your support!